Founded in 1946, the Middle East Institute (MEI) is the leading Washington-based institution dedicated solely to the study of the Middle East. A non-partisan think tank, MEI works to advance the US-Middle East relationship through a whole-of-society approach that includes policy work, education, and arts and cultural programming.
The MEI Arts and Culture Center and its anchor asset, the MEI Art Gallery, facilitate cross-cultural understanding by promoting the work of Middle Eastern artists, writers, filmmakers and other cultural producers through exhibitions, film screenings, and performances, hosting them in conversation and connecting them with their U.S. counterparts.
We are seeking a full time Art Gallery Coordinator to assist in organizing, coordinating and overseeing the daily operations and exhibits of the MEI Art Gallery, as well as to provide support for MEI’s other cultural programming, such as panel discussions, film screenings and musical performances. The MEI Art Gallery Coordinator will oversee the mounting of at least three exhibitions a year, coordinating with artists, vendors and MEI staff to bring each show to fruition. They will provide administrative support to MEI’s Director for Arts and Culture, including overseeing the shipping of artwork; the install and uninstall of exhibits; the promotion of each exhibit to include designing marketing flyers, editing artist bios and program books; building and maintaining mailing lists; and leading exhibit tours for special visitors. The Art Gallery Coordinator will also assist with the organization of cultural festivals, film screenings and musical performances, and provide general support to MEI’s growing calendar of cultural events.
Roles and Responsibilities:
MEI seeks a passionate, creative, and entrepreneurial arts professional to support the growth of the MEI Art Gallery and Arts and Culture Center. Responsibilities include:
- Working closely with and reporting to MEI’s Director of the Arts and Culture Center to coordinate and implement art exhibitions and cultural events
- Helping organize and oversee the day-to-day operations, activities and services of an art gallery
- Overseeing shipping of artwork and return of artwork, maintaining records of all transactions as well as maintaining an up to date inventory of all artwork at MEI
- Overseeing install and uninstall of exhibits
- Overseeing the development of exhibition program books to include crafting and editing of bios, exhibition information and web-related materials
- Helping maintain MEI’s exhibition website in coordination with MEI Communications; learning how to use ArtLogic exhibition software
- Promoting exhibits through the development of mailers, social media and other forms of outreach
- Developing and maintaining mailing lists
- Organizing and leading student tours and visits to the art gallery
- Helping develop an arts education program
- Coordinating panel discussions, film screenings and other cultural programming
- Organizing and maintaining specialized files
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with curators, vendors, MEI staff
- Supervising the Center’s intern
Skills and Experience:
We seek a professional who is looking for the chance to assume a rewarding position at the center of a growing art gallery and Arts and Culture Center. Key skills include:
- A minimum of 3-4 years of work experience in the cultural sector, ideally with gallery experience
- Experience organizing panel conversations and cultural events
- Experience handling logistics
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail
- Outgoing personality with an interest in welcoming and touring visitors around exhibitions
- Strong writing skills
- Social media experience, crafting tweets, developing Instagram posts
- A college degree
- Ideally has experience with or interest in the Middle East
Salary competitive. Excellent benefits.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please use “Art Gallery Coordinator" as the subject line in your e-mail.