The Middle East Institute (MEI) is Washington’s leading policy institute dedicated to studying the Middle East. We are a non-partisan think tank providing expert policy analysis and language instruction, as well as a hub for engaging with the region’s arts and culture.
MEI is seeking an Events Coordinator to work with the Institute's policy and cultural centers, as well as the development team to plan and implement high-quality, high-impact public policy and cultural programs, as well as fundraising events. Specifically, the Events Coordinator will work within a small team to plan, promote, and execute MEI’s conferences, panel discussions, private briefings, zoom webinars, fundraising dinners, and other special events, as requested by the Institute’s policy directors, center heads, and development team.
The Events Coordinator will work closely with the Manager of Programs and Events to oversee events logistics, including room setup, catering orders, AV, and more. They will also prepare panelist invitations and mailing lists, create marketing flyers, edit and post event-related content on MEI’s website, run Zoom webinars, and maintain budgets and timelines. They will be supported by MEI’s communications and development teams, as well as MEI interns.
The Events Coordinator must be a highly organized, motivated, passionate individual who brings the following skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in hospitality management, public relations, or related field OR extensive work and event planning experience.
- One to three years experience managing virtual and in-person events.
- Excellent organizational, communication, negotiating, and multitasking skills.
- Exceptional customer service and a passion for hospitality.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and maintain a customer-service mindset.
- Demonstrable experience in problem-solving and troubleshooting events.
- Ability to work irregular hours, including evenings and some weekends.
- Experience working with colleagues in graphic design, marketing, and communications.
- Basic understanding or desire to learn graphic design, website content management, and photo/video editing skills (InDesign, Adobe Creative Suite, Constant Contact, PhotoShop, and Canva preferred).
- Work with MEI’s Events team to coordinate weekly Zoom and hybrid events hosted by the Institute, including, but not limited to, panel discussions, book talks, briefings, and private round tables. This includes interfacing with speakers, managing logistics, coordinating travel, and preparing event materials.
- Work with Policy Center program directors and MEI leadership in planning and overseeing all event preparations for at least three major Middle East policy conferences a year and an annual gala dinner.
- Implement effective outreach and advertising strategies by developing event marketing materials aligned with MEI branding to drive event registration.
- Produce metrics reports for the department head regularly.
- Maintain and update the database of institutional contacts for think tanks and other policy-adjacent organizations, as well as U.S. and foreign government representatives.
- Oversee hiring, training, and management of two interns per trimester.
- Track, manage, and report event budgets and expenditures.
- Set up conference rooms for live and hybrid events and order food.
- Learn MEI’s sound and AV system to run live events.
- Assist in managing the institute-wide calendar of events and track all internal and external scheduling requests.
- Serve as a point of contact for all internal meeting room reservations, internal meeting requirements, and set-up (catering, AV, room configuration)
The position is non-exempt. Non-exempt employees are eligible for overtime pay under labor laws.
MEI offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision coverage, a retirement plan, paid time off etc.
Salary competitive. Excellent benefits.
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the position of “Events Coordinator” in the subject line of your email.