Founded in 1946, the Middle East Institute (MEI) is the leading Washington-based institution dedicated specifically to the study of the Middle East. A non-partisan think tank, MEI works to advance the US-Middle East relationship through a whole-of-society approach that includes policy work, education, and arts and cultural programming. For 75 years, MEI has worked at the forefront of understanding and finding solutions to the pressing challenges in the region. We do this by engaging the leading experts in the United States and throughout the region, convening key stakeholders, producing original research, and communicating with the broader public and decision-makers.
MEI is searching for a Grants Manager with 2-5 years of experience to provide high-level administrative support to scholars and senior staff as we expand and diversify our portfolio of federal, state, and foundation grant funding.
The grants manager will work in MEI’s growing development office, and work closely with our policy experts, to explore and pursue opportunities for federal, state and private funding that complement MEI’s mission and research objectives. They will be responsible for coordinating the submission of grant proposals, overseeing the financial administration of grants and creating budgets for funders, and collaborating closely with colleagues in the Policy Center to help them successfully track the implementation of approved grant objectives and timelines. They will also assist in strengthening MEI’s relationships with key stakeholders in the grants/foundation/donor community.
This individual must be a strong writer with experience drafting grant proposals and maintaining grant data for internal and external reporting. Given their role helping experts and MEI management implement grants, it is critical they bring strong communication, organizational and programmatic skills to the position. Ideally, they will also have experience working with management to develop fundraising strategies, as well as experience liaising with counterparts at foundations and charitable trusts to strengthen stakeholder relationships.
Competitive candidates should also have a strong understanding of International Relations, ideally with some knowledge of the Middle East so that they can productively engage with MEI scholars and their work to help craft competitive proposals.
- Responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources.
- Work with finance to gather information necessary to put forward budgets for proposals and to report to corporate/foundation funders on current grant programs.
- Comply with all grant reporting as required by foundation/corporate donors.
- Understanding of institutional history and programs.
- Maintain current records in database and in paper files, including grant tracking and reporting.
- Track statistics relevant to development and provide department with written materials necessary for donor stewardship.
- Assist with other fundraising projects as requested
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong written communication skills; ability to write clear, structured, articulate, and persuasive proposals.
- Strong editing skills.
- Extraordinary attention to detail.
- Ability to meet multiple competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of fundraising information sources like SAM.gov
- Experience with proposal writing and institutional donors.
- Experience crafting a case for support of policy and education-related projects.
- Knowledge and familiarity with research techniques for fundraising prospect research.
- Strong contributor in team environments
- Minimum of two years experience with grant writing.
- Previous experience with non-profit fundraising.
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments.
- Some project management or implementation experience preferred.
- Able to work well in a team environment, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
- Able to monitor and meet income goals.
Salary for this role is competitive to allow us to attract qualified candidates and commensurate to experience. Excellent benefits.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please use “Grants Manager" as the subject line in your e-mail.