The Middle East Institute (MEI) seeks a librarian to manage its library collection which has materials in English, Arabic, Turkish, and other languages; and provide library services to patrons and MEI staff. Duties include policy recommendations, departmental planning, and direction and administration of library activities. The position also entails making complex technical decisions about the library. The work requires that the employee have thorough knowledge, skill, and ability in all aspects of the field.
Candidates must have a degree in library science from an ALA-accredited (or foreign equivalent) institution, with experience in an academic, research, or special library settings, and experience in a variety of settings is preferable but not required; must understand the latest professional cataloging and classification rules, and have at least two years’ experience doing cataloging work including at least one semester of cataloging coursework, including experience creating original and copy-cataloging records using OCLC/MARC and RDA Toolkit; must understand the full range of library processing conventions; have an ability to multitask and manage details; preferred knowledge of MARC and non-MARC metadata content standards to support digitization and electronic resource projects; strong oral and written communication skills; strong critical thinking skills and the ability to serve a diverse population. A positive attitude and enthusiasm, passion for service and library outreach, and an ability to work in an innovative and a changing environment are necessary.
- Directs all operations of the library and supervises the library interns.
- Evaluates and administers typical library activities such as circulation, reference, and reader advisory services.
- Directs the development and maintenance of the library collection, including books, periodicals, DVDs, and a variety of other library materials.
- Directs and controls the expenditure of departmental fund allocations within the constraints of approved budgets.
- Collaborates with other institutions, groups, and corporations in the development of library programs; coordinates interlibrary program efforts.
- Publishes resource guides and other documents as appropriate.
- Prepares statistical reports for MEI Board members and other Library stakeholders.
- Directs the training and evaluation of the deputy librarian, library interns, and the volunteers.
- Represents the library on committees and at conferences.
- Performs other library administrative and standard tasks, often working independently to process incoming materials, perform collection maintenance such as weeding, and other general library activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of research library functions.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of library administration as applied to a research library.
- Thorough ability in oral and written communications in English in addition to at least one Middle Eastern language, preferably Arabic, Farsi, or Turkish.
- Demonstrated ability to administer the activities of a public library and to supervise the work of others.
- Thorough ability to make decisions in an environment of limited resources.
- Thorough ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, subordinates, associates, officials of other agencies, and the general public.
- Demonstrated professional experience as a cataloger, using MARC standards and RDA Toolkit.
Competitive salary. Excellent benefits.
How to apply
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, transcript of LIS coursework, a list of three references including one cataloging reference and one public service reference, and salary expectations to email@example.com. Please indicate the position “Librarian” in the subject line of your email.