The Middle East Institute (MEI) seeks a Librarian to manage its library collection, which has materials in English, Arabic, Turkish, and other languages; and provide library services to patrons and MEI staff. Duties include policy recommendations, departmental planning, and direction and administration of library activities. The position also entails making complex technical decisions about the library. The work requires that the employee have thorough knowledge, skills, and ability in all aspects of the fields of Middle East Studies and Library Science.
Candidates must have a degree in library science from an ALA-accredited (or foreign equivalent) institution OR an advanced degree focused on the Middle East with experience cataloging and working in libraries. Candidates must have experience in an academic, research, or special library setting; experience in a variety of settings is preferable but not required.
Candidates must understand the latest professional cataloging and classification rules and standards, and have at least one year of experience doing cataloging work, including experience creating original and copy-cataloging records using RDA standards; have an ability to multitask and manage complex projects; preferred knowledge of MARC and non-MARC metadata content standards to support digitization and electronic resource projects using emergent technologies and platforms; strong oral and written communication skills; strong critical thinking skills and the ability to serve a diverse range of users. A positive attitude and enthusiasm, passion for service and library outreach, and an ability to work in an innovative and a changing environment are necessary.
- Directs all operations of the library and supervises the library interns.
- Evaluates and administers all library services including as circulation, reference, and readers’ advisory.
- Directs the development and maintenance of the library collection, including books, periodicals, DVDs, and a variety of other library materials.
- Directs and controls the expenditure of departmental fund allocations in accordance with approved budgets.
- Curates in-person and online library exhibitions and produces regular writing pieces showcasing and contextualizing library collections.
- Collaborates with other institutions, groups, and corporations in the development of library programs; coordinates interlibrary program efforts.
- Publishes resource guides, collection development policies, and other documents as appropriate.
- Prepares statistical reports for MEI Board members and other Library stakeholders.
- Directs the training and evaluation of the other librarian, library interns, and volunteers.
- Represents the library on committees and at professional and academic conferences.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of research library functions.
- Thorough knowledge of Middle East Studies, including proficiency in at least one Middle Eastern language, preferably Arabic, Farsi, or Turkish.
- Thorough knowledge of library administration and management as applied to a research library, including direct supervision of library staff.
- Thorough ability to make decisions in an environment of limited resources.
- Thorough ability to communicate effectively and to establish and maintain positive working relationships with superiors, subordinates, associates, officials of other agencies, and the general public.
- Demonstrated professional experience as a cataloger, using MARC standards and RDA Toolkit.
Competitive salary. Excellent benefits.
How to apply
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, a list of three references, and salary expectations to email@example.com. Please indicate the position “Librarian” in the subject line of your email.