Welcome to the home page for all resource guides published by the Oman Library at MEI! Many of the resources listed are openly available online, however Oman Library materials are highlighted, and other relevant resources with access limitations are noted as appropriate.
These guides are intended to help researchers of all levels to identify and locate relevant information resources on a variety of topics. For those who are just beginning their research, these resource guides are intended to provide a starting point that gives an overview of useful and important resources. For experienced scholars, these guides may serve as a kind of checklist to verify that all relevant resources have been consulted.
The resource guides are updated regularly. They are works in progress, and the work is only just beginning! If you have a question about library resources, or if you are looking for further information beyond what is offered here, please contact the librarian! Reference questions are always welcome.
Anyone may search the Oman Library's online catalog, here.
Arts & Culture
MEI Art Exhibits
The following resource guides were created to complement the art displayed in various art shows put on by MEI's Arts & Culture program. The season and year of the art exhibit is provided in parentheses.
- Lebanon Then and Now: Photography from 2006 to 2020 (Summer 2020)
- In this Moonless Black Night: Syrian Art after the Uprising (Spring 2021)
Arts and Culture of the Middle East and North Africa
Resources relating to the region's rich culture.
The goal of the Spotlights is to provide readers with a deeper knowledge of history and current affairs, as well as regional literature. All featured items are held by the Oman Library at MEI. Please contact the librarian for questions about access.
- Current Periodicals at the Oman Library
- Digitized Rare Books Collection
- e-Resources: Databases, e-books, and e-magazines
- Held Archive
- MEI Archive -- Archival Guide (Forthcoming)
- Oman Collection
- Travelogue and Travel Guides Collection
- Oman under Qaboos: From Coup to Constitution, 1970 - 1996
- Revolt in Syria: Eye-Witness to the Uprising
- Disfigured: A Saudi Woman's Story of Triumph over Violence
- In the Name of Oil: Anglo-American Relations in the Middle East, 1950-1958
- The Iran-Iraq War: Impact and Implications
Government Publications Subject Guides
These subject guides are entirely focused on modern primary source government information that is accessible online via official government websites. Resources listed in the guides include periodicals such as journals and news magazines, annual reports, statistics and statistical reports, and more. The ephemeral and changing nature of online resources in general, and instability due to changes in government function and domestic politics, has been addressed to the best abilities of the authors of these guides.
For older government information or publications not included in the scope of these guides, please contact the librarian.
- Afghanistan Online (Forthcoming. Compiled by Daniel Diaz; edited by V. Jacobs)
- Iran Online (Forthcoming. Compiled by Grace Brightbill; ed. V. Jacobs)
- Iraq Online (Forthcoming. Compiled by Kaiden Ketchum; ed. V. Jacobs)
Language Acquisition Resources
The following resource guides are meant to provide supplemental or independent study resources for language acquisition. All languages taught at MEI will be represented below, in addition to other regional languages not currently offered through the Education program. Each of the guides features resources that are available for free online first, followed by those available at the Oman Library.
If you would like to access Oman Library materials, please contact the librarian by email or phone.
MEI Programs & Projects
MEI Programs & Projects
Resource and subject guides listed in this section are created in order to support of MEI's various programs, projects, and events.