About the Department
The communications department manages MEI’s media relations, website content, social media marketing, and multimedia production. It also works closely with the programs department on promoting and running public events.
Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this internship is only being offered remotely until further notice.
What You Will Learn
Communications staff provide hands-on training and guidance in a number of sought-after career skills, including:
- Managing website content in Drupal
- Designing e-mail newsletters
- Digital SLR photography
- Editing photos and videos using Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop and Premiere Pro
- Editing podcasts in Adobe Audition
- Operating a state-of-the-art A/V system for livestreaming public events
- HTML and CSS fundamentals
- Social media strategy
- Media research and monitoring
- Tracking web traffic using Google Analytics
New: Starting January 2021, interns at the Middle East Institute will be paid a stipend of up to $500/month based on their hours per week.
Interns will track MEI scholars’ media appearances and publications, field media inquiries, and monitor breaking stories and the journalists writing about them.
Website and Social Media
Interns will post new publications to MEI’s website and manage content using Drupal. They will also help to regularly post content to MEI’s social media platforms including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.
Newsletters and Press Releases
Interns will help produce MEI's e-mail newsletters including the Monday Briefing and News & Views. They will also draft occasional press releases and media advisories to promote important events, and write summaries of MEI events that will be posted online with a byline.
Interns will film and/or photograph MEI’s public events, edit videos in Adobe Premiere Pro, and post them to YouTube and MEI’s website. They may also assist in the production of MEI podcasts, informational videos, and promotional materials.
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
- This position requires strong writing and communications skills and technological savvy.
- Experience in journalism, multimedia production, and/or graphic design is a big plus.
- Photography, videography, Adobe Create Cloud, HTML/CSS
Please send a resume and cover letter to Nigar Mammadova at email@example.com, including "Communications Internship" in the subject line.